Here's What's new at Stages
@toasterdog - Is your super arts weekend plan a go?
Join our Friends!
Molly Searcy plays four very different women in her Stages debut in Wittenberg. Before the show opened last week, Stages' Eva Laporte chatted with this Cypress, TX, gal, who received her Theatre and Dance degree from UT Austin. Molly shared a bit about what to expect and what might surprise you in Wittenberg.
Molly, when did you know a life in the theatre was the one for you?
Oh man, I always knew! I spent my life as a ballerina and planned on becoming a professional dancer as an adult. However, in high school, some things happened and that dream changed. One of those 'things [that] happened' was being cast as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. My God, being part of that show was a life-altering experience. I had performed in plays before, but nothing like Cuckoo's Nest. That production changed my life in the best way - I gained honesty, emotional freedom, and learned how to be comfortable in my own skin. So, yes, I have always known I want a career in theatre, but the way that career has manifested has been a wonderful surprise.
What has surprised you most about Wittenberg?
How dramatic and heartbreaking it can be. Wittenberg is a comedy full of allusion, double entendre, and thoughtful humor, but it also features some really raw and tender moments. The show is a well-rounded meal: All the emotional food groups are represented.
Where are you at in the process right now? What are you grappling with?
We are less than one week from opening! Tech is the now the name of the game. Woohoo! Currently, I am grappling with momentum. It is essential for this production to maintain a locomotive-like pace, continually gaining strength and speed, as we move through every scene. Josh is doing an incredible job guiding my fellow actors and me in achieving the desired energy.
What do you hope the audience experiences when watching the play?
I hope the audience experiences what the characters experience. I hope they feel the joy, the sarcasm, the sexual energy, the frustration, and the heartache Luis, Ryan, Kenn, and I feel. And I hope they laugh their asses off.
Well, just from watching a few scenes in rehearsal, I know folks will be laughing. Ok, now let’s learn a little more about you since this is your debut at Stages. Tell us ten things, any ole things, about you!
Ten things about Molly Searcy
1. My Norwegian Elkhound mix, Violet, is the love of my life.
2. I have a secret desire to become an Alaskan bush pilot. I am so jealous Ryan Schabach already has his pilot's license! Go Ryan!
3. I. love. opera.
4. Earthy smells are my favorite: sandalwood, library books, leather, and my dog's paws.
5. In my opinion, As Good As It Gets is one of the greatest pieces of cinema ever created.
6. I am addicted to NPR. World Have Your Say is mah fave show.
7. My family is a constant source of comedy.
8. My first crush was on Keanu Reeves. LOL
9. I once skipped school in elementary so I could stay home and watch HBO "Moment of Truth" movies and organize my Halloween candy.
10. I love the Texas Longhorns.